Fire Hose Cart House
8 Gardner Street
Built forty years after the Great Fire of 1846 destroyed much of downtown Nantucket, the NHA Fire Hose Cart House is a reminder of the pivotal role fire played in Nantucket’s history.
newly restored building at 8 Gardner Street is the last remaining
structure of its kind to house vintage nineteenth-century hose carts
and pumpers, including “Cataract #6” which survived the Great Fire.
The restoration project was made possible in part by a grant from the Nantucket Community Preservation Committee, and is in line with the NHA’s goal of restoring one historic property per year. The restoration includes updated displays and artifacts, as well as an interactive exhibit that offers in-depth interpretations of the history of fires on Nantucket.