At this moment in history the Nantucket Historical Association acknowledges the importance of diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We recognize that as an entity focused on preserving and interpreting the history of Nantucket, we have the opportunity and obligation to be comprehensive in our work. We look forward to sharing the stories of all Nantuckers so that we can learn from them and be better citizens.
From the NHA Staff:
Black lives matter is a statement that is inalienable and self-evident. The NHA Staff reaffirms its commitment to and joyful embrace of diversity and inclusion. The team looks forward to an evolving collaborative process, both inside and outside the association, through which we aspire to better tell the stories of all islanders, including marginalized communities. We will listen to and learn from them, and thus become better neighbors.
The Goals of this Statement are to:
- Recognize, reflect, and understand the importance of this moment in time;
- Inform program development such that stories of underrepresented communities are acknowledged;
- Create a workplace environment that is reflective of the community;
- Establish a transparent process with benchmarks that is critically reviewed annually.
NHA Staff will:
- Pivot NHA programs such that more of an emphasis, with concomitant resources, are directed to the year-round community;
- Develop, and seek funding for, a more extensive “bullpen” of subject-matter experts to help in our story-telling of marginalized communities;
- Incorporate diversity benchmarks for research, exhibitions, and story-telling, and implement a process to ensure historical accuracy and cultural sensitivity;
- Deepen our educational work, with improved delivery systems that address quality of programs and messages multiple points of view;
- Create a panel of advisors with a charge to deepen community relations;
- Employ “best practices” in Human Resources management;
- On contracted services, ensure a “blind” process, and actively seek bids from minority-owned businesses;
- Institutionalize the need to partner with synergistic organizations when telling stories “outside of our wheelhouse”;
- Tell more stories of Nantucket in the 20th century.