3 Step Lane
1881 to 1930
Nathan Chapman purchased this property in 1881 and converted it into a boarding house; electric lights were added in 1889 and a new porch on the east side in 1903. An advertisement described it as “located near the shore of the harbor on elevated ground, a short distance from the steamboat landing fitted with eighteen large, airy rooms, and three spacious verandas on each of the three sides of the house, where patrons may enjoy the benefit of the sea breezes.” After 1930, it was renamed the Overlook Hotel and changed hands several times before being acquired in 1946 by Tom and Jo Devine, who were succeeded by, first, their son, and subsequently their grandson, who made major renovations and reclaimed its original name. It only recently came under new ownership, but is still called Veranda House.
Nantucketers recall going to the Indian Room Restaurant on Sunday mornings,
the only time it was open to the public, and having fried dough and whale-shaped