A Nineteenth-Century ChronicleFall 2003

Volume 52, No. 4

IN THIS ISSUE:

  • From “Fire Proof Building” to Museum Center: A Century of Preservation and Education by Frank D. Milligan (p. 4)
  • “Goodbye Mary Mitchell Hard Lucky Craft:” Captain Samuel Joy’s Journal by Leslie W. Ottinger (p. 6)
  • Seizing Agency: Black Nantucket and the Abolitionist Press, 1832-48 by Justin A. Pariseau (p. 11)
  • The Asylum at Quaise: Nantucket’s Antebellum Poor Farm by Alison A. Gavin (p. 17)
  • Historic Nantucket Book Section review by Ben Simmons (p. 21)
  • Capital Campaign News (p. 22)
  • Heritage Society Research Project by Betsy Tyler (p. 24)
  • NHA News (p. 25)

The Nantucket Historical Association preserves and interprets the history of Nantucket through its programs, collections, and properties, in order to promote the island’s significance and foster an appreciation of it among all audiences.

> >