July 17, 1883

The Siasconset Union Chapel was opened.More Read more from July 17, 1883

July 16, 1921

The Inquirer & Mirror reported on a two-day celebration marking the 150th anniversary of Nantucket’s Masonic Union LodgeMore Read more from July 16, 1921

July 15, 1837

The Colored American, the African American newspaper of the day, announced that Captain Edward J. Pompey had been appointed agent on Nantucket.More Read more from July 15, 1837

July 14, 1846

The worst fire in Nantucket’s history destroys much of downtown Nantucket.More Read more from July 14, 1846

July 13, 1933

The Inquirer & Mirror published an article that profiled Leeds Mitchell’s Nantucket House.More Read more from July 13, 1933

July 12, 1851

Benjamin C. Chase wrote to the Light House Board in 1851 praising the effectiveness of Sankaty Light.More Read more from July 12, 1851

July 11, 1895

Nantucket celebrated the final day of a three-day celebration to commemorate the one-hundred-year anniversary of the town’s name change from Sherburne to Nantucket. More Read more from July 11, 1895

July 10, 1901

The New York Times reported on a U.S. Navy training mission on Nantucket.More Read more from July 10, 1901

The Nantucket Historical Association preserves and interprets the history of Nantucket through its programs, collections, and properties, in order to promote the island’s significance and foster an appreciation of it among all audiences.

> >