Guide to the Camel Company Records, 1842–1850

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Research Library at the Nantucket Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the internet.

Summary

In 1842, Peter F. Ewer and other investors incorporated the Nantucket Marine Camel Company to build a set of camels to transport ships over the sandbar at the mouth of Nantucket Harbor. This collection includes materials regarding the building of the camels in Nantucket harbor.

Collection Details

Collection Number:
MS317
Title:
Camel Company Records
Date(s):
1842–1850
Creator:
Marine Camel Company (Nantucket, Mass.)
Repository:
Nantucket Historical Association
Language:
Material is in English.

Information for Users

Restrictions to Access: No restrictions. Open for research.

Restrictions to Use: No usage restrictions.

Copyright Notice: Copyright is retained by the authors of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Preferred Citation: [identification of item], in the Camel Company Records, Nantucket Historical Association.

Sensitive Materials Statement:

Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Nantucket Historical Association assumes no responsibility.

Subject Headings

  • Corporate Name
    • Marine Camel Company (Nantucket, Mass.)
  • Topical Term
    • Camels (Dry docks)

Biographical Information

In 1842, Peter F. Ewer and other investors incorporated the Nantucket Marine Camel Company to build a set of camels to transport ships over the sandbar at the mouth of Nantucket Harbor. They were the first camels launched in the United States. After some successes and many more breakdowns and near-disasters, the camels were decommissioned in 1854.

Scope and Content

This collection includes materials regarding the building of the camels in Nantucket harbor.

Contents

Folder 1 Camel Company records, 1842–1850

Processing Information

Finding aid by Ashley Miller in May 2022.

The Nantucket Historical Association preserves and interprets the history of Nantucket through its programs, collections, and properties, in order to promote the island’s significance and foster an appreciation of it among all audiences.

We use cookies to deliver our online services. Details and instructions on how to disable those cookies are set out in our Privacy Policy. By clicking I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

> >