This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Research Library at the Nantucket Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the internet.
- Collection Number:
- Charles H. Jaggar's Drug and Chemical Store Prescription Books
- Charles H. Jaggar's Drug and Chemical Store
- Nantucket Historical Association
- Material is in English.
Information for Users
Restrictions to Access: No restrictions. Open for research.
Restrictions to Use: No usage restrictions.
Copyright Notice: Copyright is retained by the authors of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Preferred Citation: [identification of item], in the Charles H. Jaggar’s Drug and Chemical Store Prescription Books collection, Nantucket Historical Association.
Book 1 gift of an unknown donor (Acc. 1924.51). Book 3 gift of Adrienne Downey in 1997 (Acc. 1997.26.1). Book 4 purchased by the Nantucket Historical Association (Acc. RL2018.23).Sensitive Materials Statement:
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Nantucket Historical Association assumes no responsibility.
- Prescription writing.
- Prescriptions, Drug -- Nantucket -- 19th century.
Originally located at 47 Main Street, Charles H. Jaggar’s Drug and Chemical Store pharmacy opened circa 1855, and, though having periodically changed ownership since, remained a pharmacy for over 150 years. Later known as Pitman and Congdon’s Pharmacy, the building was purchased by Seaman Schepps in 2007, and the pharmacy merged with Nantucket Pharmacy next door.
Scope and Content
Collection comprised of numbered, contiguous prescription books kept by an unknown pharmacist at Charles H. Jaggar’s Drug and Chemical Store. Prescriptions are numbered and often include the name of customers and directions on administration, and occasional references to specific ailments. The Nantucket Historical Association’s holdings do not include prescription book 2.
Box 1 Folder 1 Prescription book 1, 1855-1861
Box 1 Folder 2 Prescription book 3, 1868-1872
Box 1 Folder 3 Prescription book 4, 1872-1876
Processed by Amelia Holmes, Ashley Miller, and Sara David, February 2019.