Guide to the Engine Company #4 Record Book, 1871-1899

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Research Library at the Nantucket Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the internet.

Collection Details

Collection Number:
MS20
Title:
Guide to the Engine Company #4 Record Book
Date(s):
1871-1899
Creator:
Engine Company #4
Repository:
Nantucket Historical Association
Language:
Material is in English.

Information for Users

Restrictions to Access: No restrictions. Open for research.

Restrictions to Use: No usage restrictions.

Copyright Notice: Copyright is retained by the authors of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Preferred Citation: Engine Company #4 Record Book, Nantucket Historical Association.

Acquisitions Information:

Unknown.

Sensitive Materials Statement:

Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Nantucket Historical Association assumes no responsibility.

Subject Headings

  • Topical Term
    • Fire stations.
    • Shipwrecks.
    • Weather—Observations—Massachusetts—Nantucket—19th century.

Biographical Information

The John B. Chace Engine Company #4 was located at the corner of Main and Federal Streets in Nantucket, Mass. Known as Engine #4, the organization was comprised of volunteers who operated hand-pumpers placed at strategic locations in town in the event of a fire emergency. Eventually, Engine #4 was placed in Coffin’s Court (located at the head of Broad Street), and was attended by Peter Chase, Aaron Mitchell, and Frederick Hussey.

Scope and Content

The Engine Company #4 record book contains weather reports, ships’ arrivals and departures, wrecks and rescues, notes from town meetings, and records concerning the Nantucket Fire Department.

Contents

  • Folder 1 Engine Company #4 record book, 1871-1899

Processing Information

Processed by NHA staff. Finding aid by Abbie Minard and Amelia Holmes, July 2018 with additional description by Sarah Lerner in September 2018.

The Nantucket Historical Association preserves and interprets the history of Nantucket through its programs, collections, and properties, in order to promote the island’s significance and foster an appreciation of it among all audiences.

> >