Guide to the Island Service Company Records, 1917-1953

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Research Library at the Nantucket Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the internet.

Summary

The Island Service Company operated from 1917 to 1964. Its facilities were located on and adjacent to Old South Wharf and Commercial Wharf in Nantucket Harbor. The company was formed by Henry and Florence Lang along with W. D. Carpenter, Charles F. Hammond, and Oswald Drew Ingall for the purpose of purchasing, improving, and continuing the fuel and lumber business of William T. Swain and Company, which the Langs considered essential to the continued economic health of Nantucket.  This collection includes bylaws and other organizational documents; correspondence concerning the building, improving, and expansion of company facilities; and other records. Correspondents include Alfred Bornemann who was instrumental in much of the technical development of the firm.

Collection Details

Collection Number:
MS221
Title:
Island Service Company Records
Date(s):
1917–1953
Creator:
Island Service Company.
Repository:
Nantucket Historical Association
Language:
Material is in English.

Information for Users

Restrictions to Access: No restrictions. Open for research.

Restrictions to Use: No usage restrictions.

Copyright Notice: Copyright is retained by the authors of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Preferred Citation: [identification of item], in the Island Service Company collection, Nantucket Historical Association.

Acquisitions Information:

Gift of Alfred Bornemann.

Sensitive Materials Statement:

Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Nantucket Historical Association assumes no responsibility.

Related Collections

  • No. 44 Island Service Company, MS2000 Individual house plans, Nantucket Historical Association.
  • AB521 Island Service Company Account Book, MS10, Account Books Collection, Nantucket Historical Association.
  • AB522 Island Service Company Time Book, MS10, Account Books Collection, Nantucket Historical Association.
  • AB523 Island Service Company Account Book, MS10, Account Books Collection, Nantucket Historical Association.
  • AB524 Island Service Company Account Book, MS10, Account Books Collection, Nantucket Historical Association.

Subject Headings

  • Topical Terms
    • Businesses—Massachusetts—Nantucket.
    • Fuel trade—Massachusetts—Nantucket.
    • Building materials industry.

Biographical Information

The Island Service Company operated from 1917 to 1964. Its facilities were located on and adjacent to Old South Wharf and Commercial Wharf in Nantucket Harbor. The company was formed by Henry and Florence Lang along with W. D. Carpenter, Charles F. Hammond, and Oswald Drew Ingall for the purpose of purchasing, improving, and continuing the fuel and lumber business of William T. Swain and Company, which the Langs considered essential to the continued economic health of Nantucket.  The company dealt in fuel (coal and petroleum), lumber, and building supplies, and operated a saw mill, grain mill, ship chandlery, and ice-making plant.

 

For nearly fifty years the company was an integral part of Nantucket’s working waterfront. In 1964, Florence E. Deeley, a Lang relation and majority owner of the company, sold her controlling interest in the business to the Marine Lumber Company, a subsidiary of the recently established Sherburne Associates. This gave Sherburne Associates control of Old South and Commercial wharves and cleared the way for the redevelopment of the year-round working waterfront into a summer-time marina. The land occupied by the Island Service Company is now the site of a grocery store, parking lot, retail stores, and summer apartments.

Scope and Content

This collection is comprised of bylaws and other organizational documents; correspondence concerning the building, improving, and expansion of company facilities; and other records. Correspondents include Alfred Bornemann, who was instrumental in much of the technical development of the firm.

Contents

Folder 1 Articles of Incorporation, 1917, 1927

OP-221/1 Articles of Incorporation, 1927

Folder 2 Advertisements, 1945, 1953

Folder 3 Letters from Henry Vogt Co. to Island Service Company, 1935

Folder 4 Correspondence between Alfred Bornemann and William L. Mather, 1934- 1936

Folder 5 Correspondence between Alfred Bornemann and Eugene Collatz, 1935- 1936

Folder 6 Correspondence between Alfred Bornemann and off-island companies, 1935

OP-221/2 Financial statement, 1918

Folder 7 Ice plant plans, undated

Folder 8 Receipt, 1919

Items Separated

  • OP-221/1-2

Processing Information

Processed by Cindy Li in July 2022. Finding Aid by Cindy Li in July 2022.

The Nantucket Historical Association preserves and interprets the history of Nantucket through its programs, collections, and properties, in order to promote the island’s significance and foster an appreciation of it among all audiences.

We use cookies to deliver our online services. Details and instructions on how to disable those cookies are set out in our Privacy Policy. By clicking I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

> >