This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Research Library at the Nantucket Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the internet.
- Collection Number:
- Nantucket Lodging and Eating Establishment Ephemera Collection
- Nantucket Historical Association
- Nantucket Historical Association
- Material is in English.
Information for Users
Restrictions to Access: No restrictions. Open for research.
Restrictions to Use: No usage restrictions.
Copyright Notice: Copyright is retained by the authors of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Preferred Citation: [identification of item], in the Nantucket Lodging and Eating Establishments Ephemera Collection, Nantucket Historical Association.
Acquired primarily as gifts from a number of donors over a period of decades, including Paul Jensen (Acc. 1996.12.1); Lee Rand Burne (Acc. 1996.22.1-5); Robert Moulder (Acc. 1999.48, 1999.49, 1999.50); Carl England (Acc. RL2009.42); the Estate of William P. and Mary Dickinson Herbert (Acc. RL2016.59).Sensitive Materials Statement:
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Nantucket Historical Association assumes no responsibility.
This is an artificial collection of Nantucket lodging and eating establishment ephemera assembled by the Nantucket Historical Association. The collection encompasses various materials pertaining to hotels and restaurants of Nantucket, Mass. Its aim is to organize documentary materials growing out of interest in the history of the island’s tourism industry.
Materials in the collection originate both from donors and from the Nantucket Historical Association’s archives.
Scope and Content
The Nantucket Lodging and Eating Establishments Ephemera Collection includes guest registers, brochures, announcements, advertisements, menus, and other materials representing hotels and restaurants in Nantucket, Mass.
- Box 1 Folder 1 A, 1870, undated
- Box 1 Folder 2 B, 1944, 1970, undated
- Box 1 Folder 3 C, 2000, undated
- Box 1 Folder 4 D-E, undated
- Box 1 Folder 5 F, 1988, 2017, undated
- Box 1 Folder 6 G, 1946, 1977, undated
- Box 1 Folder 7 H, 1958-1989, undated
- Box 1 Folder 8 I-J, 1981-1985, undated
- Box 1 Folder 9 K, undated
- Box 1 Folder 10 L, undated
- Box 1 Folder 11 M, undated
- Box 1 Folder 12 N, 1981-1989, undated
- Box 1 Folder 13 O, 1934, undated
- Box 1 Folder 14 P-Q, 1947, undated
- Box 1 Folder 15 R, undated
- Box 1 Folder 16 Sea Cliff Inn-Sea Dog, 1906-1960, undated
- Box 1 Folder 17 Sev-Sur, 1949, 1987, undated
- OP-236/1 Sev-Sur, undated
- Box 1 Folder 18 T, undated
- Box 1 Folder 19 U-V, undated
- Box 2 Folder 20 Wad-Wau, 1943, 1974, undated
- Box 2 Folder 21 We-Z, 1986, undated
- Box 2 Folder 22 Lodging guides, 2006-2015, undated
- Box 2 Folder 23 Restaurant guides, 1949-1986
- Box 2 Folder 24 Restaurant guides, 1987-1996
- OP-236/2 Restaurant guides, 1997
- Box 2 Folder 25 Restaurant guides, 2018
- Box 2 Folder 26 Miscellaneous menus, undated
- Book 1 Register of Judith J. Fish, Boarding House, 1902-1905
- Book 2 Guest register for the Sherburne House, 1879-1881
- Book 3 Hotel register for the Sherburne House, 1881-1883
- Book 4 Hotel register for the Sherburne House, 1883, 1886-1887
- Book 5 Guest register for unidentified guest house, 1881
- Book 6 Guest register for the Wauwinet House, 1897, 1898
- Book 7 Register for the Wauwinet House, 1899-1913
- Book 8 Hotel register for unidentified hotel, 1925-1933
- Book 9 Unidentified guest register, 1874-1875; 1919-1946
- Book 10 Guest register for 7 Fair Street (Adam’s House), 1919-1952
- Book 11 Evergreen Cottage Company guestbook, 1913-1927
- Oversize Paper Items (OP-236/1-2)
Processed by NHA staff. Finding aid by Sarah Lerner and Amelia Holmes, October 2018.