This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Research Library at the Nantucket Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the internet.
- Collection Number:
- Nantucket Yacht Club Photographic Collection, circa 1920s-1970s
- circa 1920s-1970s
- Nantucket Historical Association
- Material is in English.
Information for Users
Restrictions to Access: This collection is closed to research pending processing. This collection contains additional materials that are not processed and are currently not available to researchers. For information about access to these materials, contact Research Library staff. Please be advised that preparing unprocessed materials for access can be a lengthy process.
Restrictions to Use: No usage restrictions.
Copyright Notice: Copyright is retained by the authors of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.Sensitive Materials Statement:
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual’s private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Nantucket Historical Association assumes no responsibility.
- MS348 Nantucket Yacht Club Papers/Newhouse Collection, Nantucket Historical Association
Nantucket Athletic Club was chartered in 1890 and completed their club house in 1905. Also in 1905, Paul G. Thebaud established the Nantucket Station No. 11 of the New York Yacht Club. Between 1910 and 1912, the Yacht Club operated the Athletic Club’s facilities during the summer months. Beginning in 1917, US Navy commandeered the facilities to be used as a training station. After the facilities were released by the Navy in 1920, the Athletic Club’s governing board voted to absorb the Yacht Club and renamed the organization the Nantucket Yacht Club.
Scope and Content
Photographs, negatives, and slides of events, members, employees, facilities, and boats of the Nantucket Yacht Club. The collection includes photographs from about the 1920s through the 1970s.