The Met at 150
Sylvia Yount is the Lawrence A. Fleischman Curator in Charge of the American Wing, Metropolitan Museum of Art. Dr. Yount reflects on the global museum’s local founding, in 1870, with a special focus on progressive women artists and tastemakers at the center of the late 19th-century New York art world.
Sylvia Yount is responsible for the administrative and curatorial oversight of the department of historical African American, Euro American, Latin American, and Native American art, from the colonial period to the early-twentieth century. Before moving to the Met, she served as Chief Curator and the Louise B. and J. Harwood Cochrane Curator of American Art at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and the Margaret and Terry Stent Curator of American Art and department head at the High Museum of Art. She began her curatorial career at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, America’s oldest art school and museum. In addition to completing pivotal collection reinstallations at her former institutions, Yount has organized major exhibitions, with accompanying catalogues, on Cecilia Beaux, Maxfield Parrish, and American modernism, among other topics focused on women and artists of color in regional and national contexts. She is currently working on exhibitions of historical Native North American art, Jacob Lawrence, Winslow Homer, and the late nineteenth-century New York art world. Yount continues to lecture and publish widely on American art and culture as well as on issues of curatorial responsibility and museum practice.
The Friends of the Nantucket Historical Association was organized in 1986 to seek significant acquisitions for the collections of the NHA and has enabled the NHA to acquire numerous artifacts, works of art, and documents, and to ensure that such objects stay on or return to Nantucket to be enjoyed by the people of the island. The organization has also supported such projects as the construction of the NHA’s Gosnold Museum Support Center; the conservation of artifacts; and the restoration of the parlors in the Hadwen House.