Join us to learn about the “Old Gaol,” built by Nantucket taxpayers in 1805. Known as the “New Gaol” when it was first built, the jail was in use through 1933, when the town closed the property. In a fenced yard at the end of a narrow path, the Old Gaol is a stark reminder of the less celebratory side of Nantucket life in the nineteenth century. The sturdy building served the community for more than a hundred years, and remains a stronghold after a hundred more.
Tune in to learn more about this historic building of corrections.